GOMEL REGIONAL STRUCTURE OF THE BELARUSIAN PRO-INDEPENDENCE BLOCK IS CREATED
The structure and the Gomel regional council of the Belarusian Pro-Independence Block were created on February 3, 2010 at the meeting of the subjects of the Block in Gomel initiated by Gomel Christian democrats. The leader of the BCD in Gomel Kanstantsin Zhukouski informed, that the representatives of the BCD, Young Belarus, Young Front and the movement “Razam” participated in the event.
The participants of the first session of Gomel structure of the Belarusian Pro-Independence Block agreed on the following:
- To coordinate nomination of candidates for the local elections basing on the principle – one BPB representative at one electoral district;
- to conduct cooperative observation at the local elections;
- to prepare political campaigns;
- to create human rights defense committee which would render consultative and financial help to those members of the Belarusian Pro-Independence Block who suffer from the authorities’ repressions;
- to support political prisoners and take measures to stop the practice of political repressions in Belarus.
Gomel regional council of the Belarusian Pro-Independence Block also decided to consider the BCD member Vasil Takarenka a prisoner of conscience. Vasil Takarenka was sentenced to 6 months of home arrest, but the sentence was altered to 2 years and a month of imprisonment due to his civic activity.